The program of this trip includes an autonomous trek around Tolbachik, climbing the volcanoes Flat Tolbachik and Bezymyanny, as well as a visit to the caldera of the Mutnovsky volcano at the end of the trip.
But the basis of the program is a difficult trip along the Tolbachinsky valley. From the Dead Forest, we will reach the base camp of Tolbachik, on the way going to the Zvezda crater, as well as to the cones of the Northern Breakthrough, explore the huge lava field and the cones of breakthroughs of 2012-2013, climb to Flat Tolbachik, and then walk around Tolbachik along the valley near of the volcanoes of Bolshaya Udina and Oval Zimina, we’ll go through the Tolbachik pass, make a stop at the foot of the Bezymyanny volcano, climb to its peak, then cross the Studenaya river, look into its amazing canyon, go to the Edelweiss glade and from there we will reach Kopyto camping, from where we will go off-road truck to the Mutnovsky volcano.
Just for your motivation: The New York Times about Kamchatka and our short visual film about Kamchatka:
Route day by day
Arrival in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky. Transfer to the city, we are accommodated in a hotel, get to know the city, try the famous Kamchatka delicacies - red fish, caviar, crabs.
Early rise, at 8 in the morning we are already taking off-road truck and driving through Kamchatka to Tolbachinsky Dol. The road takes about 12 hours, and part of it does not pass on asphalt, so the day will be lazy, inactive, but not very easy. The end point of our journey will be Dead Forest - a mystical place where we put up tents and spend the night.
In the morning, after breakfast, we examine the Dead Forest - covered with volcanic ash and representing an eerie, but very interesting sight. After we go without backpacks to the Zvezda crater (about 3.5 km one way), and then we move towards the Ostry and Flat Tolbachik volcanoes. Today we have to walk about 15 kilometers, but on the road we are waiting for stops and small radial exits light for sightseeing. And the most important of them are the cones of the Northern Breakthrough, from where in 1975-76 there was an eruption that covered the forest that became Dead with volcanic slag. Here, to this day, small volcanic activity continues - gases and steam come out, stones in some places are so hot that from their heat you can light small sticks or boil eggs.
In the evening we will arrive at the Cardon reserve, near which the base camp of the Ostry and Flat Tolbachik volcanoes is located, where we spend the night almost comfortably - a spring with crystal clear water, booths-toilets and even a dining room-kitchen under the roof are at our service.
Today we have light walks in vast and extremely interesting neighborhoods. We will see a huge lava field of the Tolbachinsky fissuring erosion of 2013 with bizarre layers of lava, resembling the roots of strange plants. Some parts of the lava resemble real works of art made of glass and other obscure substances. In the lava field there are several caves formed due to the uneven stratification of the enormous masses of the flowing lava, and there are areas where the lava is blown by hot gases emerging through cracks and is still hot. We will examine several fresh volcanic cones and craters, together forming an unrelated alien landscape for the Earth. And all this in torn shreds every now and then clouds, fog, flying at a high speed, against the background of the snow-covered caps of the Sharp and Flat Tolbachiks. Believe me, you will not see such landscapes anywhere else in the world! The day will be very exciting and will allow you to take pictures that are simply fantastic in their unreality (see our photo gallery).
Very early rise, climbing the Flat Tolbachik volcano. After a long, exhausting journey with a good climb, we will rise to the edge of its crater at an altitude of 2800 meters. The volcano is active. Its crater is quite large - about 2 km in diameter and up to 500 m deep, with walls breaking off inward. And although there is no activity in the crater itself today, it amazes the imagination with its scale and power.
We go downstairs, pick up the backpacks left at the foot and immediately begin hiking around Tolbachik. If we have enough strength, we will reach Toloud campsite, where there is a house, equipped places for tents and a stream in which you can even swim. If you don’t have enough strength, we will camp earlier in any place that seems suitable for this.
We have breakfast, gather a camp and move forward in the direction of three great Kamchatka volcanoes - Klyuchevskaya, Stone volcano and Bezymyanny (Noname) volcano. However, today we will not reach them, but confine ourselves to a modest 17-18 km hike by the standards of our campaign, having set up camp on a plateau between the volcanoes Flat Tolbachik, Bolshaya Udina and Oval Zimina. The plateau is cut by ravines, along which flowing streams and small rivers flow from volcanoes, partly covered with snowfields, partly with grass cover. We set up camp, relax and enjoy the views of these natural wonders.
Another trekking passage through the plateau, as well as the Tolbachinsky pass, from which in good weather (let's hope that we are lucky with it) offers a three-dimensional panoramic view of all the volcanoes of the Klyuchevskaya cluster and the huge Martian valley of large and small craters covered with delicate greenery, then , passing the famous Polenitsa (a mountain, similar in structure to stones as a log of firewood), after 2.5 km. after descending from the pass, we will stop for a rest and a snack at the "Mars Field" tourist camp, next to which there is a waterfall with very tasty water, and after we make the last spurt and, and through a small pass, we leave to Plotin’s house - the old house of volcanologists, which now serves as a shelter for tourists - inside the house you can spend the night in case of bad weather, and for good weather there is a beautiful even glade under the tents.
In the early morning we will climb the Bezymyanny volcano. Technically, it is not complicated and not very long, but you still have to puff. The volcano itself is very active, consists of a crater inside which rises a new nonus that has grown over the years after the last eruption, on top of which there is another crater. The lower crater is densely covered with fumaroles, the consus is covered in smoke from abundant gas escaping to the surface, and the upper crater is completely hidden from the eyes by thick smoke. In order to climb to the very top, you need a respirator - the gases are quite toxic and cause coughing attacks, which does not go away for several days. However, we will decide to rise to the very top or not on the spot, since the activity of the volcano increases or decreases, and everything will depend on the current situation. But the views even from the edge of the lower crater are amazing, and its activity is amazing, so get ready for very interesting and unusual sensations!
After the descent from the volcano, we collect the camp and move forward to the camp "Glade of Edelweiss" - the place of our next overnight stay. The route is 17 km long, and along the way we will also look into the canyon of the Studenaya River - a famous and unusual formation of black stones.
In the morning, after breakfast and fees, we will make a small transition (about 8 km.) To the hoof parking lot, where we will already be buried by the casting machine. Immediately we set off on the return journey - towards Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, but we will not reach it, because according to the program we still have ascent to the caldera of Mutnovsky volcano. On this day we will go to him and set off camp not far from the place where the path to the volcano began.
In the morning we will make a trip to the caldera of the Mutnovsky volcano. The place is famous and in its species qualities is not inferior to the Valley of Geysers. Here we will see huge buzzing fumaroles, and small geysers, and muddy outcrops to the surface of hot gases and real boiling cauldrons of large volume and power, as well as two volcano craters with lakes of different colors. And all this is framed by colored brown-yellow-green slopes, glaciers, streams and other natural wonders.
After returning from the volcano, we get into the car and sent to the hotel of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky.
Farewell day. Someone will fly home that day and our car will take everyone to the airport, and someone will decide to stay on Kamchtaka again in order to make helicopter excursions to the Geyser Valley or to Kuril Lake.
Mountain guide and instructor Evgeny Androsov:
GBP 1000 per person
What is included in the price
- all transfers, buses and cars in Kamchatka,
- hotel accommodation in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky,
- three meals a day - hot breakfasts and dinners, as well as snacks (dry rations) as lunch,
- general camping equipment (tents, bowlers, burners, gas), as well as a large first-aid kit, protection from bears and mosquitoes,
- registration of passes and permits to the Kamchatka Volcanoes National Park, environmental fees for the use of recreational resources,
- guide work,
- group and individual photographs of each participant taken during the entire trip to professional photo equipment and provided in electronic form.
What is NOT included
- air tickets to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky and back,
- meals in cafes and restaurants,
- medical insurance,
- consular fee and other expenses for obtaining a Russian visa,
- participants clothing and personal equipment (sleeping bags, rugs, trekking poles, personal dishes, flashlights, etc.),
- souvenirs and other personal expenses of participants,
- other expenses not indicated in the section are included in the price
What is the difficulty of the trip? Will I be able to withstand these loads? What are the limitations?
This is a tour of very difficulty! You needs serious physical and moral training, good personal hiking clothes and equipment, experience in adventures, or at least categorical mountain or sports trips, is desirable.
On the day we will go from 15 to 28 km. with backpacks, the weight of which for men is 22-27 kg, for women - 15-18 kg. Almost all overnight stays in tents, often in the rain and strong winds.
Clothing and equipment recommendations
For this tour you need to bring along a set of clothes and equipment: lightweight down jacket, membrane jacket, waterproof hiking pants, very good trekking boots (sneakers or shoes for easy hiking are excluded - you will be left without legs), two sets of thermal underwear, as well as a hat, gloves, warm socks, flisk, sunscreen and sunglasses (for climbing volcanoes), respirator are required. In addition, you will definitely need a backpack with 65 - 90 liters, waterproof case for a backpack, a headlamp, a thermos, a mosquito net, a warm sleeping bag (- 5 degrees comfort, no less!), a good sleeping mat, rubbers slippers like crox for transition wade rivers and streams. A full list will be provided to you by the instructor when concluding a tour contract. It is possible to provide you with part of the equipment for use during the tour on a free basis - the capabilities and list of equipment are negotiated and agreed in advance. Also, the instructor will definitely advise you that you DO NOT need to take so as not to carry excess weight.
How to participate
- If you are interested in this tour, leave a request through the form below or call the indicated phones, me, Evgeni Androsov or my assistants will tell you in detail about the route and answer all your questions.
- To reserve a place, you must pay a deposite of 30% of the cost of a hike / tour if it is more than 45 days before the start and 50% of the cost if before the start less than 45 days. The prepayment is refundable for 45 days or more before the start of the trekking tour and unfortunately, less than 45 days before the start of the tour / tour, if the refund is related to your refusal to participate (for any reason). If the hike / tour does not take place due to our fault, due to an unformed group or due to force majeure circumstances, prepayment will be guaranteed to you in any case.
- In the hike the group moves with the speed of the last participant, the participants are trained by the instructor to prepare the food and install the tents.
- The instructor reserves the right to refuse participation in any person if he sees that a person is physically or mentally not ready for a trip. On the route the instructor has the right to interrupt the movement of the group and to stop the trip in case of danger of further advancement, as well as due to the state of health of one or several participants. These circumstances are for force majeure, there is no provision for money for the campaign and other financial compensation.
- If you change your mind / lost the opportunity to participate in the campaign, please, inform us about this as soon as possible, because transport and products for the whole trip are purchased, calculated and distributed for each participant of the trip.
Enroll in this tour
The cost of participation is GBP 1000 per person
+7 (495) 199-25-12
+7 (909) 941-65-11